schoolSt Maria Goretti’s combined church/school was blessed and opened by Archbishop Prendiville on Sunday 19 February 1956. The newly formed parish and school were handed over to the care of the Marist Fathers, Fr. Tom Maloney SM, being the first Parish Priest. The first two Masses in the new church/school were celebrated on Sunday 25 February 1958. Prior to this the local Catholic Community had been attending Mass either in the Migrant/Air force buildings at Dunreath or at Belmay Primary School.

  • The combined St Anne’s School and Church was officially opened and consecrated on 6 December 1914 by Archbishop Clune.
  • In August 1940 Archbishop Prendiville constituted Belmont as an independent Parish.
  • By 1955 St Anne’s School was becoming overcrowded with a total enrolment of 185 children.
  • Parish Priest, Father Stinson, saw that there was a need for a separate Parish in the fast growing suburb of Redcliffe. The search for a centrally located property resulted in the purchase of a 2 Hectare lot with a small weatherboard house for £3,200.
  • After three and half months, an ‘L’ shaped building that housed 4 large classrooms, the Sacristy, a Sisters’ room, a Tuck Shop, cloakrooms and a spacious veranda, was completed for the total cost of £13,500.
  • Archbishop Prendiville then arranged for priests from The Society of Mary, or Marist Fathers, to take responsibility for the Parish under the stewardship of Fr Tom Maloney. The Sisters of Mercy agreed to take responsibility for the running of the School.
  • St Maria Goretti’s combined School and Church was blessed and opened by Archbishop Prendiville on 5 February 1956.
  • The school opened with 180 children under the care of three Sisters of Mercy: Sr Imelda Ryan, Sr Ephrem Flynn and Sr Winifred Molloy. The Sisters travelled by bus from the city each day to teach the children.
  • St Maria Goretti’s Catholic School remained the responsibility of the Sisters of Mercy until 1983, when they were forced to withdraw due to a shortage of Sisters. This brought to a close 68 years of Mercy teaching in the area, which had begun in 1914 at the original St Anne’s School.
  • In 1984 the first Lay Principal, Mr Ian Pearce, was appointed to the school. This was followed some time later in 1991 when changes to Parish structure saw the Marist Fathers returning responsibility for the Parish back to the Archdiocese of Perth.
  • On the 14 September 1995 the Blessing and Official Opening of the Pre-Primary Centre were conducted by Auxiliary Bishop Robert Healy.
  • St Maria Goretti’s Catholic School celebrated its 50th Anniversary on 5 May 2006.
  • On Sunday 29 July 2007 the final Parish Mass was celebrated in the Church before it closed.
  • In 2008 St Maria Goretti’s Catholic School became a complete Kindergarten – Year 7 single stream school.
  • With the restructuring of the Catholic School Education System in Western Australia, the final class of Year 7 students graduated from St Maria Goretti’s school at the end of the 2009 school year.
  • In 2013 St Maria Goretti’s Catholic School introduced the first students of its second enrolment stream.
  • Sr Emelda Ryan (1956 – 1961)
  • Sr Louis Savage (1962 – 1963)
  • Sr Finian Callagher  (1964)
  • Sr Leonie O’Brien (1965 – 1966)
  • Sr de Paul Carroll (1967)
  • Sr Justina Talty (1968 – 1969)
  • Sr Christopher Mc Kenna (1970 – 1972)
  • Sr Philomena Lowe (1973 – 1977)
  • Sr Josephine Dillon (1978)
  • Sr Kostka Kasprzyk (1979 – 1981)
  • Sr Geraldine Masters (1982 – 1983)
  • Mr Ian Pearce (1984 – 1991)
  • Ms Nadia Maso (1992 – 1998)
  • Mr Drew Jago (1999 – 2008)
  • Mr George Firns (2008 – 2013)
  • Mr Martin Barrett (2013 -Current)