The members of the St Maria Goretti’s Catholic School Board for 2016 are:
The Board shall carry out the following functions in pursuit of its objects:
- planning for the present and future operation of the School;
- providing membership on selection panels for the employment of staff to the School in accordance with CECWA policy;
- providing membership on the panel which recommends the appointment of a Principal in accordance with CECWA policy;
- disseminating information about the School and about Catholic education to persons and organisations in the School Community;
- liaising in all matters relating to the financial management of the School with persons and organisations in the local Catholic community;
- managing all the finances associated with the School; and,
- advising the Principal with respect to School policy.
- The functions of the Board may be varied following appropriate consultation and the approval of the Director.
Specifications of the above functions are given in Sections 12-15 of this Constitution.
Catholic school boards are advisory and consultative to the Principal/Pastor (Parish schools) or to the Principal in Archdiocesan regional schools. Boards assist the Principal/Pastor (Parish schools) or the Principal in Archdiocesan regional schools to recommend policy, identify and articulate the educational needs and aspirations of the school and school community. These goals become the basis for program objectives, policies, and action plans for the educational program.
The officers of the Board should include a Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary. Any member of the Board is eligible to hold office. The process of discernment is recommended for the selection of officers. A platform statement given by those interested in serving as officers may be beneficial to the discernment process. Officers are subject to removal by the Pastor (Parish schools) or the Archbishop, or his designee, in Archdiocesan regional schools.
The Chairman presides at all regular and special meetings, works with the Principal to prepare the agenda prior to all meetings, appoints all committees unless otherwise specified by the Board or the Parish Priest (Parish schools) or the Principal in Archdiocesan regional schools, and performs all duties incident to the office of a President and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned to him/her by the Parish Priest (Parish schools) or Board in Archdiocesan regional schools.
The Vice Chairman, in the absence of or at the request of the Chairman, performs the duties and exercises the responsibilities of the Chairman.
The Secretary is responsible for recording and distributing accurate minutes of meetings, posting the agenda, handling correspondence, preserving reports and documents and submitting to the Principal a current roster of local board members. Existing or revised by-laws and/or school board constitutions should be submitted to the Archdiocesan School Board for review.